Thursday, May 19, 2011

Food v.s. Income

One thing I did not expect to find in Paterson, was a place to eat that I would really enjoy. So with that idea already in my head, I looked around to try and find a place that was interesting, and popular among the people who either ate in Paterson frequently, or lived there. After taking a long walk past many Chinese restaurants and Spanish cuisine spots, I stumbled across a place called Libby’s Lunch. Now, if you know me you know that I hate trying new foods that aren’t homemade, so this seemed the like the perfect place for me to grab common food that tasted good. Libby’s Lunch serves good ole American food with a somewhat southern spin on things. (since I’m from the south I was very pleased) They had an interesting burger that was topped and smothered in gravy with a side of fries, so naturally  I could resist and though it was a little different I gave it a try. The food was filling and satisfying. The actual atmosphere of the restaurant made me feel right at home. There wasn’t any pressure to be something I wasn’t, and the servers and people who were in the spot seemed to be welcoming and willing to start conversation. Most importantly the food was cheap and helped me keep more money in my pocket for ice cream at Gelotti Ice Cream. Though the line was long, it was worth the wait for some homemade ice cream. The prices varied, but the ice cream was worth it. As I walked around I saw that a lot of places were like this. Small spots where people could get good food, at decent prices. I browsed around to see what else I could find, and compared the prices to the average incomes people of Paterson made. 

    Paterson, much like other urban environments, have many places that serve food that is cheap and good to eat. Because of the economy and people having to cut back to save money, it is reasonable for the people of Paterson to want to save money. By having restaurants like, Libby’s Lunch, people get a nice meal and save money. Due to financial situations people cannot just blow money on whatever they want to. According to the census data, the average income of a family living in Paterson is $43,960. That statement alone should show that there isn’t much room for splurging on expensive dinners every night. A lot of the single mothers living with children under the age of 18 are living under the poverty line. The census states that it’s over 40% of single mothers having the same problem. The city of Paterson, has a lot of issues concerning people living just barely above the poverty line and people who are living under it. It seems the incomes of the people aren’t enough to support them and their offspring, so they have multiple people living in homes at one time. This could either be a grandmother who is collecting social security, or one who works. Also, aunts, uncles, cousins, and siblings are living together to help keep the bills covered. The city isn’t getting too  much help from the government, but they are happy in their town and the way they do things. It seems they have a sense of pride, and are proud of what Paterson has become. Money or no money they do what they have to do to survive together, even if it means a family living in a three bedroom home to help pay bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment