Friday, May 20, 2011

A beautiful city

After many trips back and forth to Paterson, New Jersey I have a whole new perception of what the city is like. If you believe everything you read instead of doing actual research and field work you would think Paterson was a poverty stricken place where people need crime to survive. The news does an exceptional job when it comes to talking about bad situations, but it doesn't take the time to zero in on the classic closeness the city shares. Paterson works for the people, and the people work for Paterson. By this I mean, the people who live there seem to take pride in their city and what they have built it to be. The city has it's social and economical issues like their not being a lot of money being put into the city, or the fact that the school system isn't as strong as it should be, but they seem to function well with what they do have: each other. The community of Paterson strongly shows a sense of community and togetherness. With basic needs to survive, people live together, and sometimes its not just with family but close friends. Most communities I've been to don't have multiple families living under one roof,and it's not because they don't need the help. They live together because they would rather spend their time together getting by, than struggle alone. The shops and boutiques that run all throughout the city are filled with regulars and familiar faces, while being run by owners who cars about the consumers. I myself was guilty of thinking that Paterson was just a violent crime filled area, but when you look underneath the surface most of the crimes that are commented aren't violent at all. Because of thoughts like this, it makes it more common for people to label the youth that's lives there as future criminals. Comments like this make it easy for people to must say whatever they want and forget about the fact that the people of paterson have feelings. The city of Paterson, to me, is a model city. Though not perfect it gives off an image of rough edges with a soft center. I'd like for people to think of Paterson as a fashion show. It's a big mess until it all comes together and when it does it's beautiful. The feelings that I now have toasted Paterson taught me a lesson. I should judge a book by bits over, I should read the book, and until I finish label it a a mystery book. Now I'm finished reading the basics, and Paterson could be domaines fairy tale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment